Monday, June 16, 2008

We're all professionals, right?

My classroom phone rang at 10:45 this morning. "__________'s mom is here to see you. She says you'll wait until you bring your class down for lunch."

So after I dropped my kids off for lunch, I went to the front desk. After taking care of a few details, I walked over to the student's mother. She was standing with his aunt and an administrator.

As I began to greet then, I was met with the administrator's hand in my face-- think "talk to the hand, 'cause the face ain't listening," circa 1992-- and (I swear, this is word for word) "You need to stay out of our conversation, Ms. Jenkins."

To which I replied, "I'm sorry, I received a call from the front desk saying that _____'s mother was here to see me."

I was then told that it was inappropriate to have a conversation with a parent in the middle of the hallway, even though she had been having a conversation (the one I was supposed to stay out of) with the same parents in the hallway only moments before. So I took them upstairs, to my room, where we had a very pleasant conversation about how _____ is very smart, but plays too much and is behind academically because of it.

Apparently, they received a letter yesterday saying he wasn't allowed to come back to our school next year. I don't know anything about that. Seriously. I guess that was another conversation I needed to stay out of.

No comments: