Monday, June 2, 2008

Are you serious?

I took my kids to the library this morning, for our library prep. It was pretty typical. They sat "like pretzels" (it's not politically correct to say Indian style) on the carpet. She gave them a long lecture about good behavior and getting into high schools and being respectful. Then she talked about how other teachers' students are respectful to them, and told my students that they should be respectful to me. This sounds like it might be helpful, but she was really just reminding me and my students that she thinks I am completely incompetent and have horrible management.

Then she noticed that one of my female students was leaning on another female student. She told her to get up (which I think was appropriate). Then she said, "stop doing that gay stuff. You look like you're gay."

A moment later, she apologized. "I'm not trying to say YOU are gay, but what you were doing LOOKED gay."

How is homophobia an appropriate or acceptable value to be teaching in a public school??

I felt like I should have SAID something; I HAVE talked to my students about homophobia in the classroom, and several of them shot me, "uh oh- Ms. Jenkins isn't going to like this," glances. But I sat there silently, waiting for her to stop talking. Because the bottom line is, I'm only working here for 14 more days. I'm not going to rock the boat now.

No comments: