Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My kids think they're SO smart

A teacher-friend came to visit my classroom today. I would like to say it's because he wanted to see me, but I know it's really because he wanted to print something (I have one of the only computers in the school networked to the copy machine). His entrance was met with excited whispers and an audible "ooohh" from several of my students.

"Ms. Jenkins always be flirting with him!"

To which he responded, leaning toward me, "Hi, honey," before asking if he could use the computer.

As he walked across the room, a group of giggling, gawking young men continued making mildly inappropriate but mostly just interested comments. "Jealous," he retorted, before proceeding to pull up the documents that needed to be printed.

After he left, one of my students informed me that she had asked him if he liked me. "He said, 'I don't want to say too much 'cause I might get somebody in trouble,'" she told me.

Another student responded, "Ms. Jenkins, we know y'all two go together. Why don't you just tell us?"

Then I overheard, from another table, "But she flirts with Mr. Crooke, too. I wonder if he knows." (And then, putting me back in my place, "Mr. Crooke do NOT like her.")

You're right. You got me. I'm dating a gay man whose boyfriend is more fabulous than I could ever hope to be. Congratulations, 12 year olds, you have figured my life out.

1 comment:

Abri said...

haha that's great