Monday, May 19, 2008

Are you having a baby?

My friend and co-teacher, Matt, called out sick today. So did approximately 15 other teachers at my school today. This means, fabulously enough, that I got to babysit extra students, including a few of Matt's kids.

This was fine- it was a Monday/Friday (the first day back from a weekend, but also the day before a day off, since our kids don't have school tomorrow), so everyone was a little "hype," but I expected that.

Then, at the end of the day, I went to stand next to one of Matt's students, checking his work. He responded by gently rubbing my stomach. Yes, my stomach. Weird, right? It gets better. When I asked him to stop, he looked up at me, innocently, and said, "Ms. Jenkins, are you having a baby?"

I am NOT having a baby. When I told him this, he began rubbing my legs. The explanation for this? "I can tell by rubbing people's legs if they're having a baby or not."

This started a lovely conversation-- kids wanting to know why I'm not having a baby yet. Who the father would be if I were to have a baby (this one I ended VERY quickly). A few kids said I sometimes rub my stomach. Another suggested that a pregnancy could cause mood swings.

Teaching has definitely taught me to laugh at myself-- I'm not fat, I don't look fat, and I don't have mood swings. Kids are kids, and they talk about things. I'm just along for the ride . . .

No comments: