Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Highlights

*A parent is angry with me because her son received a failing grade on a project that was photocopied from a book.

*I am listed as the "teacher of record" (meaning that my name is on the report card) for a class that I do not and have not ever taught. When I realized that I was informed of this a week ago, I told our Dean of Instruction who told me to talk to our tech support guy (who handles our electronic grading system) who told me to talk to another pseudo-administrative-type person who told me to talk to our Dean of Instruction who then told me to talk to our principal, who had been CCed on all of these e-mails to begin with. I did not assign the students grades for the class that I do not teach and have not ever taught, which I felt was legitimate. And yet today . . . my name was on all of those report cards as the teacher of that class. The grade was blank. I had the incredibly fun job of explaining to parents why their child did not receive a grade for the class without seeming incompetent or being disrespectful of other teachers/administrators at my school.

*And in the middle of all of the above, we were supposed to be grading benchmarks.

No comments: