Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Big Changes, Small Moments*

I think everyone who reads this also talks to me on a regular basis. But in case you don't, my new dream school has undergone a few minor changes. Mainly, our principal was removed. It's been truly amazing for me, as someone very interested in educational reform, to see how much a shift in school leadership really matters. It's not the same school I began working at in July. And I suspect that when our new principal is hired (right now we have an interim), it will feel like an entirely different school again.

I was really struck by the difference in school culture yesterday morning, when a small group of students returning from a conference presented their chants to the student body. Nobody was extremely rude, but the lack of enthusiasm was overwhelming--the contrast from the beginning of the school year was just so stark.

So sometimes, as an educator, you have to look for small moments to sustain you. Little things kids do or say that can get you through the day or week or even the month.

Yesterday, I had one of those moments during lunch. I ended up watching the "lunch bunch," a group of students who eat lunch upstairs. There were about six students, and for the most part they were being loud and silly. They talked about what they want for Christmas and what they were planning to do on their day off. Toward the end of the period, though, one student realized that their reading teacher had forgotten to give them their open-ended question for the week. After discussing this for a few moments, the general consensus was, "Don't remind her, OK?"

Then one of my favorite students, D.P., responded, "Why don't you guys ever want to do work? Don't you want to go to college?"

My heart melted. He was probably just saying it because he likes me and wanted to earn a few bonus points, but it kind of made my day anyway.

*I know it's a cheesy title. Leave me alone.

No comments: